How to do a tail on a mascot without a belt showing

For topics related to fursuit making, such as materials, techniques, and workflows.
Post Reply
LadyC
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2026 4:55 am

How to do a tail on a mascot without a belt showing

Post by LadyC »

Hi all,
I am currently making a (3rd) Mascot for the middle school I teach at. Years ago, when I was PTSA President we started our mascot squad with a low end wolf mascot costume we bought on Amazon. I have had to do repairs and maintenance on it, and it has held up okay though now that I have been following fursuit making, I know it could be loads better. The second mascot suit i made copying the first suit a couple of years after we got the first suit, finding out that sherpa is very hot and not super durable.
[/img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/wToUiGKMF6zpZnZw7[/img]

The one thing that has always bothered me the most about the fisrt suit has been the tail. Originally it came with the tail detatched and recommended an extra large safety pin (kind of like what In & Out burgers use for their aprons) to attach the tail, mainly because of the different sizes of performers who could fit in the costume. The has freaked both me and the students out due to the possibility of being stabbed with the pin--in fact we did have a close call that fortunately only resulted in a minor injury. So, the next thing we tried was mounting the tail to an extra large binder clip. This unfortunately leads to lizard tail syndrome. Luckily we always have someone grab the tail when it comes off and returns it.


Is there anyway to make it where the tail can be put on a belt or something and maybe put it through side seams or something?
dragonsandwich
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2026 2:11 pm
Pronouns: he/him

Re: How to do a tail on a mascot without a belt showing

Post by dragonsandwich »

There are a few different ways to attach a tail!

Firstly, you could put belt loops on the back using elastic. Usually for fursuit tails, the part that attaches to the body is a flat circle. You would sew a piece of fabric on this end and then sew the elastic to make a place for a belt to pass through. You might also want to put a piece of EVA foam behind the fabric to add stability :D

You can also make a hidden belt loop by making a foam core for the tail and cutting a hole through it. Neffertity on youtube covers the process for this in this video. This is the method I normally use.
Post Reply